Saturday, July 5, 2008

So long, Florida!


We said goodbye to the last of my family at the Pensacola airport, and even though I haven't lived at home since I was 18 years old, and Eric and I have been together for a little over 6 years, it felt like we were really on our own for the first time. I can't explain it except to say that while it was sad to be leaving my family, it also felt like Eric and I were suddenly being brought closer together than before. Once we leave Seattle, it will be just the two of us, figuring it all out. I'm probably just being dramatic since we'll obviously be in touch with family and friends, and Eric and I moved to Minneapolis together without knowing anyone, but I think the isolation of Australia makes everything seem a little more final. I won't be picking up the phone and giving my parents a call or sending Piglet a quick text.

The move seems a little more real each day. When you talk about something for so long, repeating the details to so many people, it begins to seem unreal, but now that the countdown to our flight is in days, it seems like a concrete event. Honestly, while I'm still a worrier by nature, I'm a little less anxious now that we're almost to the departure. Soon, we'll actually be able to take steps, like finding a place to live, instead of just worrying about all that needs to be done.

1 comment:

Krista said...

Dear Mary,
It's hit me that you're really moving far, far away. I'm going to miss you. I will figure out skype (Is this even how you spell it?). I hope we will visit you one day soon. I just wanted you to know what a remarkable person you are. Thank you for always lending an ear to hear me vent and for all the support. You've been my best friend since high school and even though we haven't been in the same city, or state for that matter, in close to 8 years, I wanted you to know you will always be my best friend and favorite person, no matter how far away. Keep in touch and enjoy your last few days stateside. I wish you and Eric the best of luck down under! If you see the Wiggles, be sure to get an autograph from Anthony Wiggle for my little Aiden. And...just in case you were thinking of flying to Bali via Brisbane to Sydney, remember don't check your luggage because I sure would hate to visit you in a Balinesian women's detention center...just kidding...I really must stop watching so many documentaries...
Take care of each other and keep in touch.
I miss you already!
Love always,
Krista